Ages and the order for Childrens Sacraments
In the year when children turn eight or older, they are sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit in the Sacrament of Confirmation administered by the Bishop or his delegate.
The next year, in the year when children turn nine or older, they are welcomed to the Lord’s Table and receive Eucharist. This is the climax of their Christian initiation.
And the year after that (in the year when children turn ten or older), they are prepared to celebrate the Sacrament of Penance with individual confession and absolution (the First Rite).
Celebrations of the Sacraments are not isolated events. They take their place within a process of growth in faith from birth to adolescence. Discernment of a child's readiness for the Sacraments by parents and pastor is more important than the child's age or year level and might meant that the Sacraments are celebrated later than the norm. (If you have any concerns, you are welcome to discuss this with one of our priests at the Parent & Child Enrolment Night.)
- Your child must have been Baptised, Confirmed and received Eucharist.
- At least one of the child's parents must be Catholic.
- Both parents must be agreeable to the child proceeding with these sacraments.
- A Eucharist certificate for the child must be provided.
Change from 3 July 2018...
Please note the follow change to the journey, effective from 3 July.
Preparing for the Sacrament of Penance:
2nd opprtunity 2018
On Tuesday night in the Stella Maris Church, 31 July 6.00pm, Round B: Parent Information for First Reconciliation is being held.
This night is for parents and caregivers only who are wishing to prepare their children to celebrate the First Rite for Reconciliation in September this year.
Some parents may remember we had also mentioned enrolling the children on the same night.
We've made two small changes for Round B and hope we can get the message out to parents through the parish, schools and web newsletters:
1. Tuesday night 31 July will be for parents only and the children do not attend this evening (this is the same for Confirmation and Eucharist parents nights); and
2. We will celebrate a Rite of Blessing of Candidates for First Penance during either Saturday night 6pm on 4 August OR Sunday night 6pm Mass on 5 August. Both rites will occur at Stella Maris Church.
CLICK HERE for our brochure with our 2018 dates and more information on Penance.